Molecular Laboratory Technologist Job Description
- Follow and understand laboratory procedures for specimen handling and processing, test procedures and analyses, patient result reporting, and maintaining records of patient results.
- Follow laboratory policies, including independently identifying problems that may adversely affect test performance or test result reporting, and taking and documenting corrective actions or notifying the appropriate supervisor.
- Adhere to the laboratory’s Quality Control policies and document all Quality Control activities, instrument and procedural calibrations and controls, and perform instrument maintenance.
- Perform standard molecular biology techniques such as RNA isolation and RT-PCR, while maintaining compliance with: OSHA and HIPAA regulations, CLIA standards, laboratory safety and biohazard best practices, and other laboratory policies.
- Review, interpret, and release patient results for molecular diagnostic testing, while maintaining assay/reagent integrity, and reporting concerns to appropriate laboratory leadership and/or staff for effective quality improvement and training purposes.
- Operate instrumentation for analysis: worklist scheduling, data processing, data review, advanced troubleshooting, advanced maintenance, instrument setup and validation.
- Contribute to, review and approve of method development and method validation
- Follow work schedules, assignments, and production sequences to meet production goals, respond to fluctuating workloads, and improve quality and productivity of laboratory operations
- Participate in employee training for equipment, software and other laboratory operations. Read and comply with SOPs, regulations, best practices, guidelines, and standards.
- Demonstrate personal accountability for attendance, productivity, training, and laboratory incidents.
- Participate in employee performance and competency assessments.
- Ensure that all work is complete, accurate, and meets high quality standards of a clinical laboratory
- Perform all other assigned duties and instructed or required.
Minimum Required Qualifications
Education: Associate’s degree AND either graduated from a clinical laboratory training program or have 3 months experience in molecular testing
Education: B.S. degree or higher in laboratory sciences or related scientific field
Experience: one year performing molecular testing, knowledge of CLIA and/or COLA regulations for high-complexity molecular testing, high degree of computer literacy, knowledge of Laboratory Information Systems (LIS) and analytical software, medical terminology
• Must be willing and able to lift up to 25 pounds.